Nasdaq has partnered with Cannabis Benchmarks (CB), a division of New Leaf Data Services, to bring transparency and education to the cannabis investing community. Through the partnership, we co-created Cannabis Market Insights, a monthly report on the legal cannabis industry in Canada and the U.S. Additionally, three of CB's proprietary Canada cannabis spot price indexes are currently being disseminated via the Nasdaq Global Index Data Service (GIDS).
Cannabis Market Insights
As legal cannabis markets continue to develop and expand, so too has the need for fair and reliable spot price benchmarks and industry analysis. However, the industry has lacked an in-depth industry report, hindering participants from efficiently analyzing and navigating market conditions. Through our partnership with Cannabis Benchmarks, Nasdaq aims to deliver enhanced transparency to wholesale legal cannabis Canadian markets supporting cultivators, dispensaries, investors, traders, and other cannabis market participants.
The report provides key decision data for the cannabis community including:
- Insights into supply and demand
- Investor sentiment across stock performance, ETF fund flows and short interest
- Performance and volatility of key index, ETF and commodity barometers
Pricing and Sample Report
Cannabis Market Insights is available as a monthly report via the Nasdaq Quandl platform. Users can purchase on a monthly basis for $299 or an annual subscription for $2,388 ($199/month).
Click here to download a full sample of the Cannabis Market Insights report.
Below are some sample data sets included in the report.
Click here for report documentation and to create a free Nasdaq Quandl account for access to free data and premium sample data.
Meet the Team
Cannabis Benchmarks®, a division of New Leaf Data Services, offers Canadian cannabis wholesale spot price indexes of standardized cannabis products and industry research to create market transparency for trading and hedging, risk reporting, and settlement.
Tracking the markets
Cannabis Market Insights covers the legal cannabis industry in Canada and the U.S. from a variety of lenses:
- Commodity: Cannabis Benchmarks® Wholesale Cannabis Price Paid by the Distributor (CBMKCCSI in USD), tracking the Canadian cannabis spot price
- Equity: Nasdaq Yewno North America Cannabis Economy Index (NQNACE)
- ETFs: Two cannabis-focused ETFs
The report also includes historical snapshots and commentary of various indicators to provide in-depth industry analysis.
In-depth Industry Analysis
- Supply-demand balance for medical and non-medical cannabis in Canada
- Consumption of medical and non-medical cannabis in Canada
- Current and projected number of stores and sales by Canadian province
- Import-export analysis in Canada
- Best and worst cannabis stock performers
- Cannabis ETF fund flows and short interest
- Performance and volatility of some key barometers
- Correlation of some key barometers, notably comparing cannabis equity and commodity indexes
Canada Cannabis Spot Indexes
First of their kind
Distributed through Nasdaq's Global and Index Data Service (GIDS), the three Canada Cannabis Spot Indexes (CBMKCCSI, CBMKCNLP, and CBMKETAX) provide essential information to enable buyers and sellers along the physical and financial chains to:
- Transact at a fair market price
- Complete economic pro forma analysis
- Conduct debt and equity research
- Manage risk
- Perform asset valuation
The first of their kind, the indexes are a representation of the average wholesale price paid across all provinces and are calculated weekly using proprietary cannabis index methodology developed by Cannabis Benchmarks.
The Cannabis Benchmarks Wholesale Cannabis Price Paid by the Distributor Index (CBMKCCSI in USD) is included in the monthly Cannabis Market Insights report, along with the Nasdaq Yewno North America Cannabis Economy Index (NQNACE).
Supports price discovery and allows legal cannabis market participants to effectively analyze and navigate market conditions.
Trusted Data Source
Delivers enhanced transparency to wholesale cannabis markets through validated, unbiased price assessments.
Covers the legal cannabis industry in Canada and the U.S. through various lenses and includes historical and projection data.