For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL - December 08, 2016 - Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here: ( https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/241489/the-best-retail-stocks-to-buy-in-2017 )
The Best Retail Stocks to Buy for 2017
Welcome to Episode #60 of the Zacks Market Edge Podcast.
Every week, host and Zacks stock strategist, Tracey Ryniec, will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life.
In this episode, Tracey is joined by Maddy Johnson, Zacks Editor and co-host of the Friday Finish Line Podcast, to discuss the best, and the worst, in the retail sector right now.
The retail space covers a lot of areas from apparel, to shoes, to food, to toys and even to cars. Some areas are struggling, even though the consumer is spending. Tracey and Maddy drill down into what they are seeing out at the malls, how Black Friday and Cyber Weekend are impacting the retailers, and how you can cash in.
But there are two sides to every story. And there's a lot not to like about the retailers right now, even with a 4.6% unemployment rate. The apparel retailers, in particular, are still having a tough time. Maddy and Tracey cover their sad tales and discuss when, or if, some of them will turn around in the new year.
Two Retailers to Avoid Next Year
1. Express (NYSE: EXPR - Free Report ) is seeing decent sales trends but they are having to be extra promotional in order to get them. This is a bad sign this holiday season. It means the discounts are going to be more extreme as December goes on just to move merchandise. And don't think the consumers don't know it.
2. Gap (NYSE: GPS - Free Report ) is still trying to right the ship at its flagship Banana Republic chain. Both Tracey and Maddy think they are on the right track but not quite there yet. This is one of the cheapest retailers, with a forward P/E of 12, but Tracey is still waiting for a single digit P/E before she dives in.
Other apparel retailers that Maddy and Tracey aren't keen on for 2017 include Land's End and Ascena Retail, which owns Ann Taylor, The Loft, Dressbarn and Justice, among others.
But all is not lost on the retail side. There are still a handful of retailers that are doing everything right. And with consumer confidence on the rise, they are poised to cash in.
The 3 Top Retail Stocks for 2017
1. Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ: ULTA - Free Report ) is the top retailer in America right now. It recently saw comparable store sales of 16.7% when no one else in the industry is even doing 10%. It has posted company record comparable store sales the last 2 years. And growth is expected to continue for the next several years as it continues to open new stores. Makeup is hot. (Tracey owns ULTA in her personal portfolio.)
2. Nordstrom (NYSE: JWN - Free Report ) continues to be on point with both its brick and mortar operations and its online segment. Earnings are expected to grow 8% next year. Analysts have been raising earnings estimates.
3. Home Depot (NYSE: HD - Free Report ) has been on quite the run. But if consumer confidence stays elevated, those kitchens and new appliances will be bought. Tracey likes it even more if the shares pull back a bit as it trades with a forward P/E of 20.
Investors have to weed through the entire retail group in order to find the winners, and avoid the losers. It won't be easy. But Tracey and Maddy give you some tips in order to be a successful retail investor in 2017.
What else should you know about the important retail sector as we head into the new year?
Tune into this week's podcast to find out.
Zacks' Best Investment Ideas for Long-Term Profit
Today you can gain access to long-term trades with double and triple-digit profit potential rarely available to the public. Starting now, you can look inside our stocks under $10, home run and value stock portfolios, plus more.
Want a peek at this private information? Click here>>>
Tracey Ryniec is the Value Stock Strategist for Zacks.com. She is also the Editor of the Insider Trader and Value Investor services. You can follow her on twitter at @TraceyRyniec and she also hosts the Zacks Market Edge Podcast on iTunes.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978. The later formation of the Zacks Rank, a proprietary stock picking system; continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Click here for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros .
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report