Markets

YieldBoost Lexmark International To 24% Using Options

Shareholders of Lexmark International, Inc. (Symbol: LXK) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 4.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the April 2016 covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.10 bid, which annualizes to an additional 19.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ), for a total of 24% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but LXK shares would have to climb 8.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 15.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Lexmark International, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for LXK below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 4.5% annualized dividend yield.

Below is a chart showing LXK's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red:

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2016 covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked ). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Lexmark International, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $32.22) to be 40%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the LXK Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 527,851 contracts, with call volume at 1.07M, for a put:call ratio of 0.50 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today .

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

Other Topics

Options

Latest Markets Videos

    BNK Invest

    BNK Invest Inc. provides investment services and information. BNK Invest owns and operates a market news family of websites including DividendChannel, ETFChannel, StockOptionsChannel, and others, which make up an investor community featuring stock message boards, ratings, research, and strategies. BNK Invest caters to investing firms and individual investors internationally.

    Learn More