Markets

YieldBoost HAFC To 11.5% Using Options

A generic image of a calculator and a pen
Credit: Shutterstock photo

Shareholders of Hanmi Financial Corp. (Symbol: HAFC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $25 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.35 bid, which annualizes to an additional 10.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ), for a total of 11.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $25 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but HAFC shares would have to advance 3.5% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Hanmi Financial Corp., looking at the dividend history chart for HAFC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.2% annualized dividend yield.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story

HAFC

Other Topics

Options

Latest Markets Videos