In response to announcing collaboration deals with Elekta and Medtronic (NYSE: MDT) as well as a common stock offering, shares of ViewRay (NASDAQ: VRAY), a seller of innovative radiation therapy machines, jumped 31% as of 11:15 a.m. EST on Tuesday.
Here are the key terms of the deals:
- ViewRay signed a nonbinding collaboration deal with Elekta AB that is designed to "advance the knowledge and use of [magnetic resonance]-guided radiation therapy." As part of the deal, Elekta has agreed to invest capital in ViewRay that could represent up to a 9.9% minority interest position.
- ViewRay also has signed a nonbinding memorandum of understanding with Medtronic, which has also committed to taking a minority interest in ViewRay.
- ViewRay's largest shareholder has also announced its intention to invest additional capital that would enable it to maintain its current ownership percentage.
- Elekta and Medtronic stated that they won't invest unless the total equity capital raise is at least $75 million.
- ViewRay announced its intention to raise $75 million from a common stock offering. The underwriters of the deal have a 30-day option to purchase up to an additional $11.25 million in stock at the offering price.
Image source: Getty Images.
Given the news, it's easy to understand why shares are flying high today.
ViewRay CEO Scott Drake stated:
We are pleased to announce these important collaborations and investments in ViewRay. Our goal is to concurrently prove the value of MR-guided radiation therapy and strengthen our balance sheet. We are well-positioned to drive MRIdian to standard of care. The ability to see clearly during the procedure, track tumors and soft tissues, and auto-gate the beam is integral to delivering highly precise, personalized medicine."
ViewRay is still a very risky investment, but there's no doubt that winning the thumbs-up from both Elekta and Medtronic gives this company a much-needed credibility boost.
10 stocks we like better than ViewRay, Inc.
When investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has quadrupled the market.*
David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the ten best stocks for investors to buy right now... and ViewRay, Inc. wasn't one of them! That's right -- they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.
*Stock Advisor returns as of June 1, 2019