- Updated weekly technicals for Crude Oil (WTI)- price sell-off approaching structural support
- Check o ut our 3Q projections in our Free DailyFX Crude Oil Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinar s on Mondays at 12:30GMT
In this series we scale-back and take a look at the broader technical picture to gain a bit more perspective on where we are in trend. Crude oil turned from long-term uptrend resistance last month with price plummeting more than 10% off the yearly highs. Today's decline is challenging the monthly opening range lows with price now approaching broader slope support. H ere are the key targets & invalidation levels that matter on the Crude Oil (WTI) weekly chart.
New to Forex Trading ? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
Crude Oil Weekly Price Chart (WTI)
Notes: In last month's Crude Oil Technical Perspective we highlighted a price reversal off confluence resistance at 75 on building momentum divergence while noting support targets at, " 71.32 backed by the outside-weekly reversal close at 69.29 - a break there would suggest a larger correction is underway targeting the sliding parallel (red) at ~ 66 and pitchfork support at 64.27 - both levels of interest for possible exhaustion / long-entries IF reached. "
Price has now broken below parallel support (red) with downside weekly support targets unchanged at 66 and the June close-low / pitchfork support at 64.27 . Resistance now back at 69.29 with bearish invalidation lowered to 71.33 .
For a complete breakdown of Michael's trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on B uilding a T rading S trategy
Bottom line: The risk remains weighted to the downside in Crude but price is approaching levels of interest for support just lower. From a trading standpoint, I'd be reducing short-exposure heading into broader structural support - we'll be on the lookout for possible exhaustion / long-entries on a dip lower into the aforementioned support zones. Intraday trading levels are largely unchanged but I'll publish an updated Crude Oil scalp report once we get some further clarity on near-term price action.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Crude Oil Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long Crude Oil - the ratio stands at +1.94 (65.9% of traders are long) - bearish reading
- T raders have remained net-long since July 11 th ; price has moved 9.2 % lower since then
- The percentage of traders net-long is now its highest since Jul y 4 th
- Long positions are 3.4% lower than yesterday and 2.2% lower from last week
- Short positions are 3.9% lower than yesterday and 13.6% lower from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests Oil - US Crude prices may continue to fall. Traders are further net-long than yesterday and last week, and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a stronger Crude Oil -bearish contrarian trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in Crude Oil retail positioning are impacting trend- Le arn more about sentiment!
Economic Calendar - for the l atest e conomic d evelopments and u pcoming event ri sk
Previous Weekly Technical Perspectives
- New Zealand Dollar (NZD/USD)
- Euro vs US Dollar (EUR/USD)
- Aussie vs Japanese Yen (AUD/JPY)
- British Pound (GBP/USD)
- Australian Dollar (AUD/USD)
- Euro vs Japanese Yen (EUR/JPY)
- Japanese Yen (USD/JPY)
--- Written by Michael Boutros , Technical Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.
Learn forex trading with a free practice account and trading charts from IG .