Wednesday Sector Leaders: Utilities, Materials

Looking at the sectors faring best as of midday Wednesday, shares of Utilities companies are outperforming other sectors, up 1.0%. Within that group, Exelon Corp (Symbol: EXC) and AES Corp. (Symbol: AES) are two large stocks leading the way, showing a gain of 2.1% and 2.0%, respectively. Among utilities ETFs, one ETF following the sector is the Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF (Symbol: XLU), which is up 1.0% on the day, and up 14.00% year-to-date. Exelon Corp, meanwhile, is up 13.00% year-to-date, and AES Corp. is up 17.46% year-to-date. Combined, EXC and AES make up approximately 7.4% of the underlying holdings of XLU.

The next best performing sector is the Materials sector, higher by 0.2%. Among large Materials stocks, Newmont Goldcorp Corp (Symbol: NEM) and CF Industries Holdings Inc (Symbol: CF) are the most notable, showing a gain of 2.0% and 2.0%, respectively. One ETF closely tracking Materials stocks is the Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLB), which is up 0.3% in midday trading, and up 14.80% on a year-to-date basis. Newmont Goldcorp Corp, meanwhile, is up 6.16% year-to-date, and CF Industries Holdings Inc is up 0.05% year-to-date. Combined, NEM and CF make up approximately 6.2% of the underlying holdings of XLB.

Comparing these stocks and ETFs on a trailing twelve month basis, below is a relative stock price performance chart, with each of the symbols shown in a different color as labeled in the legend at the bottom:

Here's a snapshot of how the S&P 500 components within the various sectors are faring in afternoon trading on Wednesday. As you can see, four sectors are up on the day, while four sectors are down.

Sector % Change
Utilities +1.0%
Materials +0.2%
Healthcare +0.1%
Industrial +0.1%
Services 0.0%
Consumer Products -0.1%
Financial -0.3%
Technology & Communications -0.7%
Energy -2.0%

25 Dividend Giants Widely Held By ETFs »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story


Other Topics


Latest Markets Videos