- Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) to Keep Official Cash Rate at 2.00% for 11 th Consecutive Meeting.
- Will Governor Glenn Stevens Attempt to Talk-Down the Australia Dollar?
For more updates, sign up for David's e-mail distri b ution list .
Trading the News: Reserve Bank of Australia Interest Rate Decision
According to an updated Bloomberg News survey, 15 of the 27 economists polled forecast the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) to keep the benchmark interest rate unchanged at 2.00% in May, but AUD/USD may struggle to hold its ground should the central bank make an increased effort to talk-down the local currency.
Click Here for the DailyFX Calendar
Why Is This Event Important:
Even though the RBA largely retains a wait-and-see approach, central bank Governor Glenn Stevens may toughen the verbal intervention on the Australian dollar in an effort to further assist with the rebalancing of the real economy.
Expectations: B ullish Argument/Scenario
Employment Change (MAR)
ANZ Job Advertisements (MoM) (MAR)
Gross Domestic Product (YoY) (4Q)
Signs of a stronger-than-expected recover accompanied by the ongoing improvement in the labor market may keep the RBA on the sidelines, and more of the same from Governor Stevens and Co. may boost the appeal of the Australian dollar as market participants curb bets for lower borrowing-costs.
Risk: B earish Argument/Scenario
Consumer Price Index- Trimmed Mean (YoY) (1Q)
Trade Balance (FEB)
Retail Sales (MoM) (FEB)
Nevertheless, easing price growth paired with slowing demand from home and abroad may push the RBA to implement additional monetary support, and AUD/USD may largely give back the advance from earlier this year should the central bank adopt a more dovish tone for monetary policy.
How To Trade This Event Risk ( Video )
Bullish AUD Trade: RBA Preserves Wait-and-See Approach
- Need green, five-minute candle following the rate decision for a potential long AUD/USD trade.
- If market reaction favors a bullish aussie trade, buy AUD/USD with two separate position.
- Set stop at the near-by swing low/reasonable distance from entry; look for at least 1:1 risk-to-reward.
- Move stop to breakeven on remaining position once initial target is met, set reasonable limit.
B earish AUD Trade: Governor Stevens Further Embarks on Easing Cycle
- Need red, five-minute candle to consider a short AUD/USD position.
- Carry out the same setup as the bullish aussie trade, just the opposite direction.
Potential Price Targets For The Release
Chart - Cre ated Using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
- Even though AUD/USD preserves the bullish trend from earlier this year, the pair may have made a failed run at the June 2015 high (0.7848) as there appears to be a bearish divergence in the Relative Strength Index (RSI).
- Interim Resistance: 0.7848 (June 2015 high) to 0.7860 (61.8% expansion)
- Interim Support: 0.6830 (161.8% expansion) to 0.6860 (61.8% expansion)
Check out the short-term technical levels that matter for AUD/USD heading into the report!
Avoid the pitfalls of trading by steering clear of classic mistakes. Review these principles in the " Traits of Successful Traders " series.
Impact that the RBA Interest Rate decision has had on AUD during the last meeting
Pips Change(1 Hour post event )
Pips Change(End of Day post event)
04/05/2016 04:30 GMT
April 2016 Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) Interest Rate Decision
AUD/USD 5-Minute Chart
As expected, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) left the official cash rate unchanged at 2.00% in April, with the central bank warning that 'c ontinued low inflation would provide scope for easier policy, should that be appropriate to lend support to demand. ' Moreover, the RBA argued that 'an appreciating exchange rate could complicate the adju stment under way in the economy,' and Governor Glenn Stevens may make an greater attempt to talk-down the local currency in an effort to mitigate the downside risk for growth and inflation. The initial market reaction was short-lived, with AUD/USD pulling back from a high of 0.7630 to end the day at 0.7540.
Get our top trading opportunities of 2016 HERE
--- Written by David Song, Currency Analyst
To contact David, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter at @DavidJSong.
To be added to David's e-mail distribution list, please follow this link .
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.
Learn forex trading with a free practice account and trading charts from FXCM .