- USD/JPY Technical Strategy : Broken chart and trend resistance turns my focus on support
- Previous Post: USD/JPY Technical Analysis: Alignment With US Yields Favors Downside
- SSI is currently -1.0097 on USD/JPY as 50 % of retail traders are currently long : To stay up with the Speculative Sentiment Index, please click here.
- If you are looking for trading ideas, check out our Trading Guides
USD/JPY has been working on a price breakout over the last handful of trading days since the opening range of February closed, and Tuesday's price action looks to have confirmed what many USD/JPY Bulls have been wanting. On Yellen's testimony to US Congress, Yellen noted that it would be "unwise," for the Fed to delay too long in raising rates. This comment caused front-end Treasury yields, which we explained in the previous USD/JPY post are highly correlated to USD/JPY to move higher.
Fundam e ntal focused traders should not e that with the correlation of USD/JPY to yields that there remains a lot of uncertainty about whether or not yields can persistently push higher as some are predicting. In Yellen's testimony on Tuesday, she even said that the uncertainty about which fiscal policies will be employed under the new administration make it very difficult for her to change her forecast and therefore, it will be difficult for the bond market to adjust theirs credibly .
The move higher in USD/JPY also took out many levels of resistance that we've been watching to keep a bearish bias. Therefore, I have moved from bearish to neutral on USD/JPY. The support in focus now will be the 61.8% retracement of the initial leg higher from 111.59-114.17 at 112.60. A hold above this level with aggressive trend advancements would favor that a move higher is in the works and could continue or at least is not worth fighting.
Looking at the chart below, you can see a highlighted range above the bearish channel drawn with Andrew's Pitchfork as well as the price above Ichimoku Cloud. The highlighted range comprises of the 38.2-61.8% retracement of the 2017 range of 118.62-111.594. A break above this zone would turn my bias from N eutral to Bullish.
The base of the Fibonacci zone sits at 114.849, which is anticipated to bring the first real test of this young USD/JPY bull move. The top of the I ch imoku cloud aligns with the top of the 61.8% retracement that would favor a further trend continuation should a breakout occur.
H4 USD/JPY Chart: USD/JPY Breaks Above Counter-Trend Bearish Channel & H4 Ichimoku Cloud
Ch art Created by Tyler Yell, CMT
Shorter-Term USD/JPY Technical Levels : February 14, 2017
For those interested in shorter-term levels of focus than the ones above, these levels signal important potential pivot levels over the next 48-hours.
Contact and discuss markets with Tyler on Twitter: @ForexYell
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.
Learn forex trading with a free practice account and trading charts from IG .
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
Latest Markets Videos
- The $12 Trillion "Once-in-a-Lifetime" Market Opportunity Investors Won't Want to Miss
- J.P. Morgan Says These 3 Stocks Could Surge Over 100% From Current Levels
- Forget Tesla's Battery Day, These EV Stories Are More Important
- ChargePoint, Switchback Energy Acquisition Enter Business Combination Agreement