As of today's market close, here are the top 10 names showing unusual option activity on tradeMONSTER's LiveAction data system.
National Semiconductor (NSM): Option volume 3,040 percent above average. An investor bought some 10,000 September 24 calls for $0.85, looking for upside. NSM fell 0.04 percent to $24.54.
Mindray Medical (MR): Option volume 2,646 percent above average. Roughly 4,000 August 25 calls were sold for $1.65 to $1.95, and about 5,900 September 30 calls were bought for $1.05 to $1.45 as an investor sought more time for upside. MR fell 6.25 percent to $23.71.
Assuarant (AIZ): Option volume 1,869 percent above average. An investor rolled 1,875 September 32.50 calls to the September 30 strike at a net cost of $2.10, hoping for upside. AIZ fell 2.49 percent to $31.33.
Affymax (AFFY): Option volume 1,687 percent above average. An investor sold 2,250 October 5 calls for $0.70 and $0.65, calling a top in the drug developer. AFFY fell 10 percent to $4.67.
Market Vectors Russia ETF (RSX): Option volume 1,600 percent above average. Investors sold the September 32 puts for $2.05 and bought the August 29 puts in separate transactions. RSX fell 12 percent to $31.11.
Rounding out the rest of the top 10 are:
- Janus Capital (JNS): Option volume 1,510 percent above average.
- Endo Pharmaceuticals (ENDP): Option volume 1,387 percent above average.
- ProShares Short S&P 500 ETF (SH): Option volume 1,376 percent above average.
- Savient Pharmaceuticals (SVNT): Option volume 1,278 percent above average.
- Photronics (PLAB): Option volume 1,089 percent above average.
(Chart courtesy of tradeMONSTER)
Copyright © 2010 OptionMonster® Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved.