Uniswap, Curve Daily Trading Volumes Surges Past $2B, Likely Driven by Harvest Attack
Automated market makers Curve and Uniswap traded volumes above $2 billion on Monday, benefiting from one of decentralized finance protocol Harvest Finance’s darkest days.
- Daily trading volume on Uniswap surged by over 1,200% to a record $2.04 billion, surpassing the previous record high of $953.59 million registered on Sept. 1 by a big margin.
- “Volume on Uniswap surged, as the Harvest Finance exploiter likely ran money through the automated market maker,” Denis Vinokourov, head of the research at the London-based prime brokerage Bequant, told CoinDesk in a Telegram chat.
- Daily trading volume on decentralized exchange Curve Finance also surged to over $2 billion.
- A malicious entity exploited Harvest Finance early Monday and drained $24 million from the yield farming protocol launched in early September.
- “The economic attack was performed through the curve y pool, stretching the price of the stablecoins on Curve out of proportion and depositing and withdrawing a large amount of assets through harvest,” Harvest Finance said.
- The attacker took a flash loan to manipulate prices on Curve Y Pool to drain USDT and USDC many times. The entity then converted the funds to tokenized bitcoin in form of renBTC and exited to bitcoin.
- The anonymous team behind Harvest Finance has announced a $100,000 bounty for the first person or group to reach out to the hacker “and help the attacker return the funds to the deployer address.“
- The Harvest Finance team is actively tracking the funds and has identified 10 bitcoin addresses of the flash loan attacker.
Clarification (Oct. 26, 2020, 21:28 UTC): Harvest Finance’s bounty includes the requirement that the individual not just find the “attacker” but also help them return the funds to the deployer address.
- First Mover: Bitcoin Surges to New 2020 High as Harvest Debacle Provides Costly DeFi Lesson
- Kraken CEO Jesse Powell Issues Tough Critique of ‘Reckless’ DeFi Launches
- Ocean v3 Brings Wave of Data Monetization Tools to Ethereum
- Harvest Finance: $24M Attack Triggers $570M ‘Bank Run’ in Latest DeFi Exploit