The British Retail Consortium Shop Price Index measures price changes in the retail outlets
For December: Down 1.4% y/y
- Compares with November's down 1.7%
- December prices fell by the smallest margin since August 2015
- Fall in food prices cited
- Clothing & footwear prices rose m/m for the first time in almost 2 years
In notes to the release the British Retail Consortium reiterated its forecast that shop prices would soon rise for the first time since 2013:
- "We are now seeing the first impact of the currency depreciation of the last six months"