Twitch Doubles Down on Crypto, Gives Subscribers 10% Discount
Twitch is giving subscribers a 10% discount if they pay using cryptocurrencies.
- The Amazon-owned company announced the deal on Saturday; users can pay in bitcoin, ether, bitcoin cash or litecoin.
- A live-streaming platform popular with video gamers, Twitch had around 3.8 million broadcasters in Q1 2020 and around 1.44 million concurrent users as of March 2020.
- Twitch introduced a cryptocurrency payment option in 2014 but quietly removed it in Q1 2019; it was brought back in June.
- Offering a discount suggests the platform is encouraging its subscribers to use cryptocurrencies for goods and services rather than just as a speculative investment.
- The company uses U.S.-based BitPay to process its crypto payments.
- Whale Alert: $27M From 2016 Bitfinex Hack Is on the Move
- Bitmain Spin-Off Launches Crypto Exchange to Go After Booming Options Market
- Private Sector Could Bring Value to Future CBDC Launches, Says IMF Official
- US Government Files Fresh Charges Against PlexCoin ICO Organizers