Tullow to Gain from Ivory Coast Onshore Block Acquisition

European exploration and production company Tullow Oil plcTUWOY recently declared that it has bought a 90% stake in Ivory Coast's four onshore blocks. These are located on the coastline to the west of Abidjan. The rest 10% of the onshore blocks are held by Petroci, the national oil company of the country.

The acquisition is in line with the company's strategy of focusing on value-enhancing growth. Tullow bought stakes in CI 518, CI519, CI301 and CI302 blocks spreading over 5,035 square kilometers. The company has plans to start work in the blocks shortly so that a full tensor gradiometry (FTG) survey process can begin by early 2018. The result from the survey will help the company to determine the potential of the acquired blocks. In addition, Tullow expects the cost of production from the blocks to be low and will enrich the company's existing exploration portfolio.

The company has a 20-year presence in the country. We would like to remind investors that the company currently has non-operating stakes in Ivory Coast's offshore Espoir field, where Canadian Natural Resources Limited CNQ is the major shareholder and operator. Tullow receives net production of 4,000 barrels of oil per day from Espoir.

About Tullow

Anglo-Irish exploration firm Tullow operates as an independent oil and gas exploration and production company. Tullow has a large portfolio of exploration and production assets with a focus on balanced long-term growth. The company is headquartered in London, the United Kingdom.

Price Performance

Tullow has lost 36% of its value year to date, underperforming the 8.5% fall of its industry .

Zacks Rank and Stocks to Consider

Tullow currently carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).

Some better-ranked stocks in the oil and energy sector are Enbridge Energy, L.P. EEP and Par Pacific Holdings, Inc. PARR , both sporting a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy). You can see the complete list of today's Zacks #1 Rank stocks here .

Enbridge Energy's earnings for 2017 are expected to surge 24.2% year over year. The partnership delivered a positive earnings surprise of 7.7% in the second quarter of 2017.

Par Pacific's sales for the third quarter of 2017 are expected to increase 28.5% year over year. The company delivered a positive average earnings surprise of 9.1% in the last four quarters.

4 Stocks to Watch after the Massive Equifax Hack

Cybersecurity stocks spiked on recent news of a data breach affecting 143 million Americans. But which stocks are the best buy candidates right now? And what does the future hold for the cybersecurity industry?

Equifax is just the most recent victim. Computer hacking and identity theft are more common than ever. Zacks has just released Cybersecurity! An Investor's Guide to inform readers about this $170 billion/year space. More importantly, it highlights 4 cybersecurity picks with strong profit potential.

Get the new Investing Guide now>>

Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report

Tullow Oil PLC (TUWOY): Free Stock Analysis Report

Enbridge Energy, L.P. (EEP): Free Stock Analysis Report

Par Pacific Holdings, Inc. (PARR): Free Stock Analysis Report

Canadian Natural Resources Limited (CNQ): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on click here.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story


Other Topics


Latest Markets Videos


Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on stock research, analysis and recommendations. In 1978, our founder discovered the power of earnings estimate revisions to enable profitable investment decisions. Today, that discovery is still the heart of the Zacks Rank. A wealth of resources for individual investors is available at

Learn More