* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 1.72 percent to 15,908.45
* Leading the index were Seven Generations Energy Ltd <VII.TO>, up 7.9%, Inter Pipeline Ltd IPL.TO, up 6.4%, and Ballard Power Systems Inc BLDP.TO, higher by 6.2%.
* Lagging shares were Lightspeed POS Inc LSPD.TO, down 3.4%, Ivanhoe Mines Ltd IVN.TO, down 3.1%, and Aecon Group Inc ARE.TO, lower by 2.9%.
* On the TSX 157 issues rose and 64 fell as a 2.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 2 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 231.7 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Toronto-dominion Bank TD.TO, Bank Of Nova Scotia BNS.TO and B2gold Corp BTO.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN rose 3.05 points, or 4.1%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 3.01 points, or 1.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 0.85%, or $0.34, to $40.44 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 0.63%, or $0.27, to $42.99 O/R
* The TSX is off 6.8% for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.