* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 1.72 percent to 13,097.84
* Leading the index were MEG Energy Corp
* Lagging shares were Shopify Inc SHOP.TO, down 9.7%, Lightspeed POS Inc LSPD.TO, down 9.6%, and Corus Entertainment Inc CJRb.TO, lower by 8.4%.
* On the TSX 174 issues rose and 57 fell as a 3.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were no and no new lows, with total volume of 446.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Cenovus Energy Inc CVE.TO, Canadian Natural Resources Ltd CNQ.TO and Suncor Energy Inc SU.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN rose 5.51 points, or 9.4%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 2.90 points, or 1.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 21.86%, or $4.44, to $24.75 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 20.49%, or $5.07, to $29.81 O/R
* The TSX is off 23.2% for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.