* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.62 percent to 16,123.48
* Leading the index were Silvercorp Metals Inc
* Lagging shares were Crescent Point Energy Corp CPG.TO, down 4.5%, Vermilion Energy Inc VET.TO, down 4.3%, and Pason Systems Inc PSI.TO, lower by 3.5%.
* On the TSX 138 issues rose and 83 fell as a 1.7-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 16 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 161.8 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp AQN.TO, Canadian Natural Resources Ltd CNQ.TO and Cenovus Energy Inc CVE.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN fell 1.12 points, or 1.4%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 0.23 points, or 0.1%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 0.44%, or $0.18, to $40.57 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 0.62%, or $0.27, to $43.1 O/R
* The TSX is off 5.5% for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.