TSX rises 0.54 percent to 16,271.65
* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.54 percent to 16,271.65
* Leading the index were Kelt Exploration Ltd KEL.TO, up 10.4 percent, MEG Energy Corp MEG.TO, up 9.9 percent, and Peyto Exploration & Development Corp PEY.TO, higher by 8.8 percent.
* Lagging shares were Labrador Iron Ore Royalty Corp LIF.TO, down 4.0 percent, Shopify Inc SHOP.TO, down 2.9 percent, and CannTrust Holdings Inc TRST.TO, lower by 2.6 percent.
* On the TSX 167 issues rose and 66 fell as a 2.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 22 new highs and 6 new lows, with total volume of 181.7 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp ECA.TO, Suncor Energy Inc SU.TO and Barrick Gold Corp ABX.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN rose 3.70 points, or 3.1 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.43 points, or 0.5 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 1.82 percent, or $1, to $55.93 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 1.6 percent, or $0.95, to $60.46 O/R
* The TSX is up 13.6 percent for the year.