* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.37 percent to 16,183.66
* Leading the index were Silvercrest Metals Inc
* Lagging shares were Methanex Corp MX.TO, down 4.8%, Martinrea International Inc MRE.TO, down 3.5%, and First Quantum Minerals Ltd FM.TO, lower by 3.4%.
* On the TSX 92 issues rose and 126 fell as a 0.7-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 23 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 199.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Enbridge Inc ENB.TO, Manulife Financial Corp MFC.TO and Royal Bank Of Canada RY.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN fell 1.34 points, or 1.7%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 1.22 points, or 0.5%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 0.25%, or $0.1, to $40.69 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 0.21%, or $0.09, to $43.23 O/R
* The TSX is off 5.2% for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.