TSX rises 0.20% to 16,369.32
* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.20 percent to 16,369.32
* Leading the index were Shopify Inc SHOP.TO, up 7.8%, Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd WDO.TO, up 7.1%, and Torex Gold Resources Inc TXG.TO, higher by 7%.
* Lagging shares were FirstService Corp FSV.TO, down 6.6%, Husky Energy Inc HSE.TO, down 6.6%, and Hexo Corp HEXO.TO, lower by 6.3%.
* On the TSX 95 issues rose and 132 fell as a 0.7-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 5 new highs and 5 new lows, with total volume of 166.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp ECA.TO, Yamana Gold Inc YRI.TO and B2gold Corp BTO.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN fell 1.14 points, or 0.9%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 0.47 points, or 0.1%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 0.48%, or $0.27, to $56.24 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 0.72% , or $0.44, to $61.61 O/R
* The TSX is up 14.3% for the year.
Latest Markets Videos
- US STOCKS-Wall St plunges as Snap's bleak forecast sparks selloff
- All Fed officials backed May rate hike, 'most' saw half-point rises in June and July, minutes show
- US STOCKS-Wall Street surges on upbeat retail guidance, easing Fed fears
- Fed could cut rates in 2023, 2024 once inflation under control -Bullard