TSX flat as tech losses offset energy share gains
(Reuters) - Canada's main stock index was unchanged on Monday, as an early rise in energy shares was offset by losses in the technology sector.
* At 9:43 a.m. ET (1343 GMT), the Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index .GSPTSE was down 3.22 points, or 0.02%, at 16,532.11.
* Eight of the index's 11 major sectors were lower, led by a 1% decline in the technology sector .SPTTTK.
* Biggest loser among tech stocks were shares of Shopify Inc SHOP.TO, which slid ~3%, followed by a 2% decline in those of BlackBerry Ltd BB.TO.
* On the other hand, the energy sector .SPTTEN jumped 2% as oil prices rose after the new Saudi Arabian energy minister, Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman, confirmed expectations that there would be no radical change in his country's oil policy. O/R
* The U.S. crude CLc1 prices were up 1.6% and Brent crude LCOc1 added 1%. O/R
* On the TSX, 114 issues were higher, while 119 issues declined for a 1.04-to-1 ratio to the downside, with 18.27 million shares traded.
* Top percentage gainers on the TSX were shares of energy companies Nuvista Energy <NVA.TO>, which jumped 9.8%, and Nexgen Energy Ltd <NXE.TO>, which rose 6.9%.
* Pretium Resources <PVG.TO> fell 3.3%, the most on the TSX, followed by shares of Hudson's Bay Co <HBC.TO>, down 2%.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Lydian International Ltd <LYD.TO>, Baytex Energy Co <BTE.TO> and Aurora Cannabis <ACB.TO>.
* The TSX posted four new 52-week highs and no new low.
* Across all Canadian issues, there were 10 new 52-week highs and two new lows, with total volume of 31.90 million shares.
(Reporting by Shreyashi Sanyal in Bengaluru; Editing by Shinjini Ganguli)
((Shreyashi.Sanyal@thomsonreuters.com; +1 646 223 8780;))
Latest Markets Videos
- EXCLUSIVE-Shell launches major cost-cutting drive to prepare for energy transition
- EXCLUSIVE-Electric vehicle charge network ChargePoint nears deal to go public -sources
- Investors Brace for Months of Big Market Swings as Virus, Political Worries Loom
- BUZZ-U.S. STOCKS ON THE MOVE-VTv Therapeutics Inc, SPI Energy Co Ltd, Carvana Co, Stich Fix Inc