* The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX .GSPTSE fell 162.74 points, or 1.00 percent, to 16,164.61.
* Leading the index were FirstService Corp FSV.TO, up 9.0 percent, Iamgold Corp IMG.TO, up 2.5 percent, and SSR Mining Inc SSRM.TO, higher by 2.4 percent.
* Lagging shares were MEG Energy Corp MEG.TO, down 9.9 percent, Kelt Exploration Ltd KEL.TO, down 8.8 percent, and Crescent Point Energy Corp CPG.TO, lower by 8.1 percent.
* On the TSX 67 issues rose and 172 fell as a 0.4-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 15 new highs and 19 new lows, with total volume of 243.2 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp ECA.TO, First Quantum Minerals Ltd FM.TO and B2gold Corp BTO.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN fell 5.88 points, or 3.9 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 2.93 points, or 1.0 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 5.39 percent, or $3.31, to $58.11 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 4.34 percent, or $3.08, to $67.91 O/R
* The TSX is up 12.9 percent for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.