TSX falls 0.78 percent to 16,293.95
* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX falls 0.78 percent to 16,293.95
* Leading the index were Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd WDO.TO, up 5.3 percent, NovaGold Resources Inc NG.TO, up 5.1 percent, and Alacer Gold Corp ASR.TO, higher by 4.6 percent.
* Lagging shares were WSP Global Inc WSP.TO, down 6.5 percent, Encana Corp ECA.TO, down 6.5 percent, and Whitecap Resources Inc WCP.TO, lower by 5.9 percent.
* On the TSX 72 issues rose and 160 fell as a 0.5-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 17 new highs and 8 new lows, with total volume of 198.2 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp ECA.TO, Aurora Cannabis Inc ACB.TO and Bombardier Inc BBDb.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN fell 4.83 points, or 3.7 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 2.24 points, or 0.7 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 0.89 percent, or $0.47, to $52.28 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 0.69 percent, or $0.4, to $57.95 O/R
* The TSX is up 13.8 percent for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.