* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX falls 0.24 percent to 16,495.09
* Leading the index were Nuvista Energy Ltd NVA.TO, up 11.3 percent, Gran Tierra Energy Inc GTE.TO, up 11.3 percent, and Ensign Energy Services Inc ESI.TO, higher by 10 percent.
* Lagging shares were Pretium Resources Inc PVG.TO, down 8.9 percent, Eldorado Gold Corp ELD.TO, down 6.6 percent, and CannTrust Holdings Inc TRST.TO, lower by 6.0 percent.
* On the TSX 117 issues rose and 118 fell as a 1-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 8 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 216.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Canadian Natural Resources Ltd CNQ.TO, Encana Corp ECA.TO and Kinross Gold Corp K.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN rose 2.97 points, or 2.3 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.47 points, or 0.5 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 2.64 percent, or $1.49, to $58.01 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 1.85 percent, or $1.14, to $62.68 O/R
* The TSX is up 15.2 percent for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.