TSX falls 0.24 percent to 16,495.09
* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX falls 0.24 percent to 16,495.09
* Leading the index were Nuvista Energy Ltd NVA.TO, up 11.3 percent, Gran Tierra Energy Inc GTE.TO, up 11.3 percent, and Ensign Energy Services Inc ESI.TO, higher by 10 percent.
* Lagging shares were Pretium Resources Inc PVG.TO, down 8.9 percent, Eldorado Gold Corp ELD.TO, down 6.6 percent, and CannTrust Holdings Inc TRST.TO, lower by 6.0 percent.
* On the TSX 117 issues rose and 118 fell as a 1-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 8 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 216.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Canadian Natural Resources Ltd CNQ.TO, Encana Corp ECA.TO and Kinross Gold Corp K.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN rose 2.97 points, or 2.3 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.47 points, or 0.5 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 2.64 percent, or $1.49, to $58.01 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 1.85 percent, or $1.14, to $62.68 O/R
* The TSX is up 15.2 percent for the year.