TSX falls 0.08 percent to 16,784.29
* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX falls 0.08 percent to 16,784.29
* Leading the index were Shopify Inc SHOP.TO, up 6.9 percent, Hudbay Minerals Inc HBM.TO, up 3.9 percent, and Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd WDO.TO, higher by 3.7 percent.
* Lagging shares were Eldorado Gold Corp ELD.TO, down 8.1 percent, MAG Silver Corp MAG.TO, down 6.0 percent, and Seabridge Gold Inc SEA.TO, lower by 6.0 percent.
* On the TSX 108 issues rose and 117 fell as a 0.9-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 14 new highs and 3 new lows, with total volume of 195.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp ECA.TO, Aurora Cannabis Inc ACB.TO and Crescent Point Energy Corp CPG.TO.
* The TSX's energy group .SPTTEN fell 0.62 points, or 0.4 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.28 points, or 0.4 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 1.38 percent, or $0.79, to $56.5 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 1.11 percent, or $0.7, to $62.4 O/R
* The TSX is up 17.2 percent for the year.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.