Using the GuruFocus Aggregated Portfolio Screener you can filter results to see what companies maintain the highest amount of guru ownership. By using this screener, we filtered down to see which African-based companies are held by the most gurus. By doing this we found out that the top three companies held by gurus during the fourth quarter are headquartered in Africa are based in the gold and natural minerals industries.
- Dodge & Cox Undervalued Stocks
- Dodge & Cox Top Growth Companies
- Dodge & Cox High Yield stocks
- George Soros Undervalued Stocks
- George Soros Top Growth Companies
- George Soros High Yield stocks
- Jean-Marie Eveillard Undervalued Stocks
- Jean-Marie Eveillard Top Growth Companies
- Jean-Marie Eveillard High Yield stocks
AngloGold Ashanti Limited ( AU )
AngloGold Ashanti is the most widely held guru stock, maintaining twelve guru owners over the duration of the fourth quarter. During the past quarter there were eight gurus buying shares of AU and there were five gurus making sells of their stake in the company. These gurus maintain a combined weighting of 5.23%.
The top three shareholders of AngloGold Ashanti:
1. Jean-Marie Eveillard : 32,782,600 shares, representing 8.51% of the company's shares outstanding and 1% of his total portfolio
2. John Paulson : 31,413,135 shares, representing 2.34% of the company's shares outstanding and 1.8% of his total assets managed.
3. NWQ Managers: 9,030,385 shares, representing 2.78% of the company's shares outstanding and 0.93% of their total portfolio.
AngloGold Ashanti is a gold exploration, mining and marketing company that holds a portfolio of operations and projects on four continents and has a worldwide exploration program. The company is headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa.
AngloGold Ashanti's historical revenue and net income:
AngloGold announced earlier this week that its Tropicana Gold Mine began producing its first gold ahead of schedule and within budget. This means that the company has added new ounces at below the company's current average cost structure and so improving the overall quality of its portfolio.
The analysis reports that the company's revenue has been in decline over the past year, it has issued $2.3 billion of debt over the past three years and its price is nearing a 10-year low.
AngloGold Ashanti has a market cap of $6.96 billion. Its shares are currently trading at around $17.28 with a P/S ratio of 1.30 and a P/B ratio of 1.40.
Gold Fields ( GFI )
As of the close of the fourth quarter there were 10 guru owners of Gold Fields. During the past quarter there were six gurus buying shares of GFI and there were two gurus making sells of their stake in the company. These gurus maintain a combined weighting of 0.75%.
Top three guru shareholders of Gold Fields:
1. Jean-Marie Eveillard: 55,595,028 shares, representing 0.52% of his total portfolio.
2. John Paulson: 6,529,748 shares, representing 0.1% of his total portfolio.
3. Jim Simons: 3,088,000 shares, representing 0.02% of his total assets managed.
Gold Fields is a South African gold mining company. The company works in exploration, extraction, processing and smelting. Their main product is gold bullion which is currently produced in South Africa, Ghana and Australia.
Gold Fields' historical revenue and net income:
he analysis on Gold Fields reports that the company's operating margin is expanding, its price is at a 10-year low, its P/B ratio is at a 3-year low and its P/S ratio is at a10-year low.
The Peter Lynch Chart suggests that the company is currently overvalued :
Gold Fields has a market cap of $2.93billion. Its shares are currently trading at around $3.81 with a P/E ratio of 4.50 and a P/S ratio of 0.60. The dividend yield of Gold Fields' stock is 2.20%. The company had an annual average earnings growth of 17.50% over the past ten years.
Harmony Gold Mining ( HMY )
As of the close of the fourth quarter there were six guru owners of Harmony Gold Mining. During the past quarter there were three gurus buying shares of HMY and there were three gurus making sells of their stake in the company. These gurus maintain a combined weighting of 0.25%.
Top three guru shareholders of Harmony Gold Mining:
1. Jean-Marie Eveillard: 15,784,210 shares, representing 3.63% of the company's shares outstanding and 0.11% of his total portfolio.
2. Jim Simons: 5,908,100 shares, representing 1.36% of the company's shares outstanding and 0.04% of his total portfolio.
3. John Hussman: 500,000 shares, representing 0.11% of the company's shares outstanding and 0.09% of his total portfolio.
Harmony Gold Mining and its subsidiaries are engaged in underground and surface gold mining and related activities, including exploration, extraction and processing. Gold bullion, the company's main product, is currently produced at its operations in South Africa.
Harmony Gold's historical revenue and net income:
The analysis on Harmony reports that the revenue has been in decline over the past year, the dividend yield is nearing a 5-year high, the price is at a 2-year low and its P/B and P/S ratios are also trading at 10-year lows.
Harmony Gold Mining has a market cap of $1.35 billion. Its shares are currently trading at around $3.10 with a P/S ratio of 0.80 and a P/B ratio of 0.40. The company has a dividend yield of 1.50%.
You can check out other top held sectors of the market by using the Aggregated Screener here.
Try a free 7-day premium membership.
About GuruFocus: GuruFocus.com tracks the stocks picks and portfolio holdings of the world's best investors. This value investing site offers stock screeners and valuation tools. And publishes daily articles tracking the latest moves of the world's best investors. GuruFocus also provides promising stock ideas in 3 monthly newsletters sent to Premium Members .
This article first appeared on GuruFocus .