Editor's Note: Todd posts his vibes in real time each day on our Buzz & Banter .
It's Friday. December 13, 2013. Markets are flat today; either the calm before the storm or the beginning an onerous stalemate into the new year.
I don't have any grand thoughts or intuitions to share that I haven't shared in this space almost every day for the last 12 years. I've seen a lot of markets in my time and this one is right up there. It's fascinating, frustrating, and moving fast, perhaps too fast. Neil Young once sang, " It's better to burn out than fade away ," and all I can say is, I hear you, man.
In the absence of something original or unique, I thought I would dig deep into the troves for some old school vibage.
Have a great weekend, and fare ye well into the bell.
Things I've Learned
- Honesty, trust, and respect are the constructs of any successful endeavor.
- Anxiety is the friction between where you are and where you should be.
- Time is the most precious commodity.
- What goes around comes around.
- The greatest wisdom is bred as a function of pain.
- Look yourself in the eyes when you brush your teeth.
- Bad times define good friends; bad seasons define good fans.
- Be good to others and better to yourself.
- Work to live; don't live to work.
- Time is the arbiter of fate.
- Opportunities are made up easier than losses.
- If you are unhappy with anything in your life, you are the only one who can change it.
- One hand washes the other.
- Where you stand is a function of where you sit.
- The only difference between genius and madness is acceptance.
- The only difference between intervention and manipulation is communication.
- The only difference between a lesson and a mistake is the ability to learn from it.
- Negative energy is wasted energy.
- Adapt; don't conform.
- Take the high road; it's less crowded and has a better view.
- Be thankful..
- The definition of an investment should never be a trade gone awry.
- To appreciate where we are, we must understand how we got here.
- Drugs that mask symptoms aren't the same as medicine that cures the disease.
- The opposite of love isn't hate; it's apathy.
- There's no shame in admitting it's hard; there's only shame in pretending it's not.
- The friction between opinions is where education is found.
- A dream is only as powerful as those who believe in it.
- Money comes and goes.
- The reaction to news is more important than the news itself.
- Tomorrow is promised to nobody.
- Good traders know how to make money, but great traders know how to take a loss.
- Seeing old friends is good for the soul.
- By the time you get to where you want to be, the journey will be over.
- The only difference between being early and wrong is if you're there to collect.
- The best way to build a growth company is by surrounding yourself with people who can themselves grow.
- Hope isn't a viable investment vehicle.
- Stay humble or the market will do it for you.
- Be careful with people who don't like animals.
- The ability not to trade is often as important as trading ability.
- The Crash didn't cause The Great Depression; The Great Depression caused the Crash.
- Social mood and risk appetites shape financial markets.
- The leaders coming out of a crisis are rarely the same as those who entered it.
- The ability to add capacity into a downturn helps define the winners on the other side.
- Discipline trumps conviction.
- There is a massive difference between having fun and being happy.
- Gratitude is latitude.
- Society is simply a sum of the parts.
- View obstacles as opportunities and problems as possibilities.
- The air of integrity gets thinner with age.
- The meaning of life is a life of meaning.
- Think positive!
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.