Earnings season rolls on with over 900 companies reporting this week including some of the key FAANG companies plus many of the hot growth stocks.
Among those will be a bunch of the restaurant stocks including the widely-watched names.
The industry has had to handle rising wages thanks to a tight job market and volatile commodity costs.
Yet, the consumer is holding up and is still spending on experiences, including eating out.
Which restaurant will surprise to the upside this earnings season?
5 Must See Restaurant Earnings Charts
1. Wingstop WING has one of the best stock charts of the week, in the restaurant industry or outside of it. Shares are up 25% year-to-date but are off their all-time highs hit earlier in the year. It has only missed one time since 2015 which is a great earnings track record.
2. Starbucks SBUX had become the darling of Wall Street in 2018 and the start of 2019, hitting a new all-time high along the way. But over the past 3 months the shares have pulled back 13%. It has a great track record of beating, with just one earnings miss in the last 5 years. Will another beat turn the shares around?
3. The Habit Restaurants HABT has beat four quarters in a row but it hasn’t helped the stock which has hit a new 5-year low. Year-to-date, shares are down 10% after bouncing off the new low. Is this a buying opportunity?
4. Dunkin Brands DNKN has a great earnings chart with just 2 misses in the last 5 years. Shares hit new highs in 2019 but have pulled back 8.8% over the last 3 months. With a forward P/E of 24, is valuation now a concern?
5. El Pollo Loco Holdings LOCO has beat 6 of the last 7 quarters but remains stuck in a narrow trading range. The shares are down 67% over the last 5 years. Year-to-date they’re down 27%. Yet, they’re not altogether cheap, with a forward P/E of 16.6. Will they beat again this quarter?
[In full disclosure, the author of this article owns SBUX in her personal portfolio.]
Breakout Biotech Stocks with Triple-Digit Profit Potential
The biotech sector is projected to surge beyond $775 billion by 2024 as scientists develop treatments for thousands of diseases. They’re also finding ways to edit the human genome to literally erase our vulnerability to these diseases.
Zacks has just released Century of Biology: 7 Biotech Stocks to Buy Right Now to help investors profit from 7 stocks poised for outperformance. Our recent biotech recommendations have produced gains of +98%, +119% and +164% in as little as 1 month. The stocks in this report could perform even better.
See these 7 breakthrough stocks now>>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
El Pollo Loco Holdings, Inc. (LOCO): Free Stock Analysis Report
The Habit Restaurants, Inc. (HABT): Free Stock Analysis Report
Dunkin' Brands Group, Inc. (DNKN): Free Stock Analysis Report
Wingstop Inc. (WING): Free Stock Analysis Report
Starbucks Corporation (SBUX): Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.