Personal Finance

Tax Break for Elder Care

My mother, who is in the early stages of dementia, has moved in with me. She will attend an adult day care program while I'm at work. Can I deduct any of the expense of her care?

You may be able to claim a dependent-care tax credit or set aside pretax dollars in a flexible spending account to pay for her care, as long as the expenses are necessary so that you (and your spouse, if you're married) can continue to work.

To qualify for the tax credit, your mother must be physically or mentally unable to care for herself. The rules for claiming the dependent-care tax credit are less stringent than those for claiming a parent as a dependent. That means even if your mother's gross income exceeds $3,700 (the personal-exemption amount for 2011), you could still claim the dependent-care credit as long as you provide more than half of her support.

For most taxpayers, the dependent-care credit is worth 20% of the cost of care, up to $3,000 for one dependent ($6,000 for two or more). But your mother must live with you more than half of the year to qualify for the tax credit. So if she moved in after June, you won't be able to claim the dependent-care credit on your 2011 income tax return that you'll file next year; you'll have to wait to claim the credit on your 2012 return. For more information about the tax rules, see IRS Publication 503 , Child and Dependent Care Expenses.

Or, if your employer offers a flexible spending account program, ask whether you can make a midyear election to designate up to $5,000 to a dependent-care account for this year. If not, you can set up an FSA for 2012 during this year's open-enrollment season.

The rules for dependent-care FSAs can vary by employer, but generally your mother would be eligible if she is physically or mentally incapable of caring for herself, she lives with you for more than half the year, and you provide more than half of her support. "A practical example of an eligible expense might be the fees for a senior day care center for elders with Alzheimer's -- if, say, a parent lives with and is dependent on an adult child who works, and the parent goes to a senior center each day because the parent can't be left alone," says Jody Dietel, of WageWorks, which administers FSA plans for many large employers.

You must choose between the FSA and the tax credit; you cannot claim both for the same expense. For tips on which is the best choice for you, see Tax-Friendly Ways to Pay for After-School Care . The calculations are the same whether you are paying for child care or elder care.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

Other Topics


Latest Personal Finance Videos

    Growth in Separately Managed Accounts and Why They Are Attractive for Financial Advisors

    Nasdaq Dorsey Wright Client Portfolio Manager Andy Hyer discusses the growth in Separately Managed Accounts and why they are attractive for financial advisors.

    4 days ago


    Kiplinger is a Washington, D.C.-based publisher of business forecasts and personal finance advice, available in print and online. Get trusted advice on investing, retirement, taxes, saving, real estate, cars, college, insurance.

    Learn More