The JPY is strongest. CAD is weakest.
The JPY is the strongest currency as NA traders enter for the trading day. The CAD is the weakest.
The BOJ decision and subsequent volatility/illiquid/headline confusion played into the JPY strength. The CADJPY got hammered hurting the CAD. Crude oil futures are little changed but made new lows to 34.41.
Looking at the chart, below the spikes in the charts are all JPY related. Pairs like the EURUSD, GBPUSD, USDCHF, AUDUSD, NZDUSD are in the midst of a day with ranges below the average over the last 22 trading days. There is room to roam today, but it is Friday. It is the 18th of December - about to enter the Christmas week, and just a two weeks from the end of the year - and all the central bank stuff is over with. So keep your eyes on the road. Driving could be all around today.
Other things of note today.
- Canada wholesale sales, estimate +0.1%. Last -0.1%
- Canada CPI. estimate +0.1% vs. +0.2% last. Core month on month 0.0% vs. +0.3% last. Year on year +1.5% vs. +1% last. Core year on year +2.3% vs. +2.1% last
- US Markit service PMI 55.9 vs. 56.1
- . Feds lacker gives 2016 economic Outlook in Charlotte
- It is quadruple witching in stocks ---->volatility
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.