The past year was a profitable one for most investors: The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose nearly 10%, while the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq rose around 15% each. Toss in dividends, and total returns were a few percentage points higher.
Of course, the goal ofinvesting -- especially for active investors like the folks who read Street Authority -- is to beat these benchmarks.
How did we fare? Well, here's a look at the 10 most popular picks of 2012 and a look at how they fared.
1. " Forget Oil...This Could be the Biggest Story in Energy"
Nathan's timing was solid and he continues to deliver ongoing coverage of what he calls the "North American Energy Boom" in his Scarcity & Real Wealth newsletter, including the best ways toprofit .
2. " The Man Who Made Billion from the Housing Bubble Just Bought These 5Stocks "
was also quite popular with readers. Of the five stocks profiled, three were subsequently acquired by other companies -- at solid premiums -- while United Rentals (NYSE: URI ) and Delphi Automotive (Nasdaq: DLPH ) have each risen roughly 20% since the article was published. As a group, this basket of stocks has returned more than 25% so far.
3. " This Company Could Kill the Gasoline Engine -- and Make Huge Profits for Investors"
Andy's current take: "Westport Innovations is building heavy-duty engines that run on natural gas and has partnerships with six of the 10 top truck manufacturers. Worldwide, themarket for heavy trucks is estimated to hit 0 billion in 2014, and Westport is positioned to grab a disproportionate share of the market given its broad reach within the industry."
4. " This UnlovedStock Could Double"
Had I waited for the selling to abate, I would have looked wiser, as shares have finally started to reverse course. It's cold comfort that thisstock has finally doubled from its lows, though I'd add that shares have ampleupside from current levels as management has finally begun delivering on the promise of a risingcash flow .
5. " Forget Coca-Cola: Buy This Stock Instead"
6. " This Could be the World's Best Oil Stock"
Blame goes to a series of missed financial and development targets, though I share Tim's view that this stockwill find favor as production ramps in coming years and "Petrobras elevates Brazil to the status of an elite oil-producing nation."
7. " Forget Facebook: This Social Media Stock is Ready to Break out"
But RenRen has started to rebound in recent weeks -- along with other Chinese stocks, so this pick now deserves a fresh look.
8. " It's Time to Sell This Popular Oil Stock"
9. " Is McDonald's Stock Now a Buy?"
10. " Forget Gold: Double YourMoney with this Instead"
Action to Take --> Many of our stock ideas should be seen with a multi-year time horizon, so any time you takenote of a stock pick that has failed to gain traction thus far, it's worthwhile to give theinvestment opportunity a fresh look. They may be slow out of the gate, but could still race to the finish.
-- David Sterman
P.S. -- Have you read our latest report -- Top 10 Stocks for 2013? One stock has raised its dividend 33 consecutive quarters. Another dominates its market... pays $3.40 in dividends per share each year... and has returned 117% since it went public just over four years ago. In this special presentation, I'll tell you about all of our just-released picks for 2013 -- including several names and ticker symbols -- so that you can start profiting today. Click here to learn more.
David Sterman does not personally hold positions in any securities mentioned in this article. StreetAuthority LLC does not hold positions in any securities mentioned in this article.
© Copyright 2001-2010 StreetAuthority, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
- The $12 Trillion "Once-in-a-Lifetime" Market Opportunity Investors Won't Want to Miss
- J.P. Morgan Says These 3 Stocks Could Surge Over 100% From Current Levels
- Forget Tesla's Battery Day, These EV Stories Are More Important
- ChargePoint, Switchback Energy Acquisition Enter Business Combination Agreement