Strategy To YieldBoost Whole Foods Market To 6.2% Using Options

An image of a pen on paper
Credit: Shutterstock photo

Shareholders of Whole Foods Market, Inc. (Symbol: WFM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1% annualized dividend yield can sell the November covered call at the $60 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.71 bid, which annualizes to an additional 5.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ), for a total of 6.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $60 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but WFM shares would have to advance 14.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 18.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Whole Foods Market, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for WFM below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing WFM's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $60 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the November covered call at the $60 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $60. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked ). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Whole Foods Market, Inc. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $52.24) to be 32%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the WFM Stock Options page of In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 523,885 contracts, with call volume at 882,886, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today .

Top YieldBoost Calls of the Nasdaq 100 »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

Other Topics


Latest Markets Videos

BNK Invest

BNK Invest Inc. provides investment services and information. BNK Invest owns and operates a market news family of websites including DividendChannel, ETFChannel, StockOptionsChannel, and others, which make up an investor community featuring stock message boards, ratings, research, and strategies. BNK Invest caters to investing firms and individual investors internationally.

Learn More