After last week's lackluster performance, all three major benchmarks ended the day in the black, with the Dow modestly above fair value. Big Tech, led by Apple (AAPL), pushed stocks higher, particularly for the Nasdaq. As one of the busiest weeks in terms of earnings, the S&P 500 has enjoyed a boost from various quarterly beats. Meanwhile, investors eye congress as they continue work on another stimulus bill.
- Moderna stock soars again after massive funding boost.
- Pharma giant flies on double analyst upgrade.
- Plus, options bears chime in on blue chip; Zoom stock looks ripe for a surge; and another vaccine stock could soon move higher.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI - 26,584.77) rose 114.9 points, or 0.4% for the day. Dow (DOW) rose to the top of the Dow, finishing 3.3% higher, while Boeing (BA) fell to the bottom, losing 2%.
Meanwhile, the S&P 500 Index (SPX - 3,239.41) gained 23.8 points, or 0.7% for the day, and the Nasdaq Composite (IXIC - 10,536.27) added 173.1 points, or 1.7% for today's session.
The Cboe Volatility Index (VIX - 24.74) lost 1.1 points, or 4.3%, for the day.
5 Items on Our Radar Today
- Two companies are competing for a historic luxury nameplate. While both cars are "visually striking," there will only be one out on the market. (Marketwatch)
- The impending eviction crisis won't look the same in every state. This map shows what the impact may look like. (CNBC)
- Blue-chip stock receives two price-target hikes.
- Stay-at-home stock set to soar even higher.
- Biotech stock looking bullish ahead of earnings.
Data courtesy of Trade-Alert
Gold Reaches Fresh Record Highs
Oil prices rose today as the U.S. dollar dropped to a two-year low. September-dated crude gained 31 cents, or nearly 0.8%, to settle at $41.60 per barrel.
Gold futures rose today to break both their closing and intraday record highs. Gold for August rose $33.50, or 1.8%, to settle at $1,931 an ounce, topping Friday's high.