Markets
BAK

Shell's (RDS.A) Appomattox Project Achieves a Key Milestone

Integrated oil and gas company Royal Dutch Shell plcRDS.A recently announced that the massive four-column, semi-submersible watercraft of the Appomattox project has begun its one month long journey. This is a major milestone achieved by the company as it brings Shell a step closer to the completion of this multibillion deepwater oil and gas project in Gulf of Mexico.

The watercraft is en route from South Korea to Ingleside, Texas, where the remaining construction work is likely to get completed. With this recent development, over 60% of the fabrication is complete. The project is on schedule and is likely to begin oil production by the end of 2020. The average peak production from the field is estimated to be 175,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (Boe/d).

Shell owns a 79% stake in the Appomattox and Vicksburg deepwater fields and the remaining 21% interest is held by Nexen Petroleum Offshore, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited CEO . The company announced its final decision to invest in the project in July 2015. The project has seen a 20% savings from its original investment proposal owing to designing technology. Back in May 2017, Shell awarded a contract to the oilfield services provider Oceaneering International, Inc. OII for the installation of ancillary flowline hardware and for providing other required services with respect to the project.

Shell owns a strong and diversified portfolio of global energy businesses and a strong inventory of development projects that are likely to boost volume growth over the long run. Appomattox is one of the most lucrative and significant deepwater development projects of Shell offering attractive long-term opportunities in the Gulf of Mexico. The other deepwater projects in Gulf of Mexico include Kaikias and Coulomb Phase 2. By 2020, the company expects around 900,000 Boe/d from its deepwater projects.

Zacks Rank and Key Pick

Headquartered in Hague, Netherlands,Shell divides its operations into four major segments: Upstream, Downstream, Corporate and Integrated Gas. The company currently carries a Zacks Rank #3(Hold). Shell's stock has gained around 2.3% year to date, substantially outperforming the 6% decline of the industry it belongs to.

A top-ranked player in the same industry is Braskem S.A. BAK which currently sports a Zacks Rank #1(Strong Buy). Braskem reported positive earnings surprise of 107.79% in the trailing four quarters. You can see the complete list of today's Zacks #1 Rank stocks here.

5 Trades Could Profit "Big-League" from Trump Policies

If the stocks above spark your interest, wait until you look into companies primed to make substantial gains from Washington's changing course. Today Zacks reveals 5 tickers that could benefit from new trends like streamlined drug approvals, tariffs, lower taxes, higher interest rates, and spending surges in defense and infrastructure. See these buy recommendations now >>

Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report

CNOOC Limited (CEO): Free Stock Analysis Report

Oceaneering International, Inc. (OII): Free Stock Analysis Report

Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDS.A): Free Stock Analysis Report

Braskem S.A. (BAK): Free Stock Analysis Report

To read this article on Zacks.com click here.

Zacks Investment Research

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story

BAK OII RDS.A

Other Topics

Stocks

Latest Markets Videos

Zacks

Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on stock research, analysis and recommendations. In 1978, our founder discovered the power of earnings estimate revisions to enable profitable investment decisions. Today, that discovery is still the heart of the Zacks Rank. A wealth of resources for individual investors is available at www.zacks.com.

Learn More