Ontario planning new social gathering limits as COVID-19 cases rise-source
Adds comment from premier's office, background
TORONTO, Sept 17 (Reuters) - The Canadian province of Ontario is considering introducing some strict new limits on social gatherings in three hot spots in the midst of a spike in COVID-19 cases, a government source told Reuters on Thursday.
A draft plan being discussed would reduce the size of indoor gatherings to 10, down from 50, and outdoor gatherings to 25, down from 100, the source said, adding that limits would apply in Toronto, nearby Peel region, and Ottawa. The plan does not yet have final approval.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford's spokeswoman Ivana Yelich said, "No decisions have been made."
Ford said on Wednesday that he would be meeting with cabinet ministers to discuss new measures, and that they would come with hefty fines.
New cases of COVID-19 have risen sharply over the last week in Ontario, breaking through the 300 mark on Monday. The province reported 293 new cases on Thursday.
The surge in cases, combined with school rules that require tests for most children or parents with mild symptoms, have driven tens of thousands to testing centers, where many have had to wait hours to be seen.
(Reporting by Allison Martell and Mahad Arale in Toronto Editing by Denny Thomas, Chizu Nomiyama and Diane Craft)
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
Latest Markets Videos
- Tesla removed from S&P 500 ESG index on autopilot, discrimination concerns
- Fed could cut rates in 2023, 2024 once inflation under control -Bullard
- US STOCKS-Wall Street ends sharply lower as Target and growth stocks sink
- Powell says Fed to 'keep pushing' rates higher until clear inflation is falling