Markets
PFE

One Put, One Call Option To Know About for Pfizer

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Pfizer Inc (Symbol: PFE). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2016 expiration for PFE. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $20 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 39 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.9% return against the $20 commitment, or a 1.2% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ).

Selling a put does not give an investor access to PFE's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Pfizer Inc sees its shares fall 32.7% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $19.61 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 39 cents from $20), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 1.2% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2016 expiration, for shareholders of Pfizer Inc (Symbol: PFE) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.5% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $35 strike and collecting the premium based on the 77 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 1.6% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost ), for a total of 5.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but PFE shares would have to climb 17.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 20.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Pfizer Inc, highlighting in green where the $20 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $35 strike in red:

Top YieldBoost PFE Calls »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story

PFE

Other Topics

Options

Latest Markets Videos

    BNK Invest

    BNK Invest Inc. provides investment services and information. BNK Invest owns and operates a market news family of websites including DividendChannel, ETFChannel, StockOptionsChannel, and others, which make up an investor community featuring stock message boards, ratings, research, and strategies. BNK Invest caters to investing firms and individual investors internationally.

    Learn More