Miners, oil, stronger dollar lift FTSE 100
* FTSE 100 up 1 pct
* FTSE 250 up 0.6 pct
* Smith & Nephew slumps after M&A chatter
* Miners, oil majors rise (Adds analyst comment, updates share moves, adds graphic)
Feb 11 (Reuters) - British blue-chip shares bounced back onMonday buoyed by strength in global miners and oil shares, whilethe dollar climbing to a near six-week high lifted companieswith greater international exposure as a fresh round ofSino-U.S. trade talks took off.
The main index .FTSE added 1 percent while midcaps .FTMC were up 0.6 percent after ending lower on Friday as freshconcerns over the Sino-U.S. trade situation added to fears of aslowdown in the world economy.
All sectors across the board were positive by 0951 GMT.
Monday's rise in the FTSE 100, coming after three sessionsof losses, marked a strong start to a week in which BritishPrime Minister Theresa May is due to update parliament on herprogress towards a European Union divorce deal.
The market held up despite data showing the British economyhad slowed in the final three months of last year, pushinggrowth in 2018 to its weakest in six years, as Brexit worrieshammered investment. urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL9N1SF00Q
The contraction, however, was as expected and came aftereconomic growth forecast cuts by the Bank of England and theEuropean Commission last week.
As the March 29 exit date ticks closer, a deal on how theworld's sixth-largest economy will leave the European Unionstill in limbo and companies are reigning in spend until the fogclears.
May has rejected the idea of targeting a customs union withthe EU, stamping out hopes that she could shift her Brexitpolicy to win over the opposition Labour Party.
"It does rather seem like she is trying to bounce parliamentinto a last minute choice between her deal or no deal at all. Asthe clock counts down the risk is that the delaying tacticsbackfire and the UK leaves without a deal," said Markets.comanalyst Neil Wilson.
Miners .FTNMX1750 climbed to their highest since Novemberwith Chinese iron ore futures at record highs on concerns thatsupply from Brazil, the country's second-largest ore supplier,may decline after a fatal dam accident at a Vale VALE3.SA mine. urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL3N20611Q
Travel group TUI's TUIT.LLondon-listed shares jumped 4.1percent to top the FTSE 100 leader-board as traders cited Bankof America Merrill Lynch resuming coverage with a "Buy" rating.The gains erased some of the steep losses of last week afterpoor results.
Takeaway group Just EatJE.L rose 2 percent after itsshareholder Cat Rock Capital Management urged the company tostart merger talks and said it would benefit from a deal ratherthan relying on a new chief executive officer.
Elsewhere, Chinese shares rose ahead of a new round of tradetalks with the United States that started on Monday.Asia-focussed bank HSBCHSBA.L rose 1.6 percent and was thebiggest support to the blue-chip index.
Oil majors BP BP.L and Shell RDSa.L were also among topgainers on the back of higher crude prices.
Among a handful of losers was Smith & NephewSN.L whichslid 3.4 percent to be the worst FTSE 100 performer. TheFinancial Times reported that it has held talks to buyU.S.-based medical equipment maker NuVasiveNUVA.O in a dealthat would be worth more than $3 billion.
Small-cap KCOMKCOM.L advanced 10 percent after theTelegraph reported that Virgin Media was considering a takeoverbid, while logistics firm Connect GroupCNCTC.L rose 4 percenton a contract with Daily Mirror publisher Reach PlcRCH.L . urn:newsml:reuters.com:*:nL3N20611BMuvija.M@thomsonreuters.com email@example.com
(( For related prices, Reuters users may click on - * UK stock report .L FTSE index: 0#.FTS6 techMARK 100 index: .FTT1X FTSE futures: 0#FFI: Gilt futures: 0#FLG: Smallcap index: .FTSC FTSE 250 index: .FTMC FTSE 350 index: .FTLC Market digest: .AD.L Top 10 by vol: .AV.L Top price gainers: .NG.L Top % gainers: .PG.L Top price losers: .NL.L Top % losers: .PL.L
* For related news, click on - * UK hot stocks: [HOT and GB] Wall Street: .N Gilts report: GB/ Euro bond report GVD/EUR Pan European stock report: .EUTokyo stocks: .T HK stocks: .HK Sterling report: GBP/ Dollar report: USD/
* For company prices, click on - * Company directory: UKEQ By sector: FTAX
* For pan-European market data, click on - * European Equities speed guide................ EUR/EQUITY FTSE Eurotop 300 index........................... .FTEU3 DJ STOXX index................................... .STOXX Top 10 STOXX sectors........................ .PGL.STOXXS Top 10 EUROSTOXX sectors................... .PGL.STOXXES Top 10 Eurotop 300 sectors.................. .PGL.FTEU3S Top 25 European pct gainers.................... .PG.PEUR Top 25 European pct losers..................... .PL.PEUR ))
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
- Elon Musk Says Lithium Demand Will Continue to Boom — Here Are 2 Stocks That Could Benefit
- The Most Frequently Asked Questions About The Stock Market In 2022
- Stock Market Today: Dow Jones, S&P 500 Drop Ahead Of Key Inflation Data; Novavax Stock Falls After Cutting Revenue Guidance
- Here’s Why Novavax Stock Dropped 32% in After-Hours Trading