On Monday, tech giant Microsoft Corp ( MSFT ) announced the arrival of their brand new operating system Windows 10. The newest version will ship out to customers on July 29, just less than two months from now.
Not only will current Windows 7 and 8 users receive a free upgrade to 10, but Microsoft is utilizing a reservation-like system that lets users sign up for a notification when the update becomes available. The system also allows users to schedule the Windows 10 installation whenever they want.
Windows 10 will be quite the upgrade. It's designed as a platform that will both span and appear continuous across mobile, desktop, and tablet mediums, as well as the Xbox One gaming console. Here's a breakdown of some of the other impressive features:
- Cortana-similar to Apple Inc's ( AAPL ) Siri, Cortana is, according to Microsoft's website, "your clever new personal assistant, and she can search the web, find things on your PC, keep track of your calendar-even tell you jokes. We're not saying she'll pass the Turing test, but the more she helps you out, and the more she learns about you, the better she gets."
- Microsoft Edge-a successor to the iconic Internet Explorer, Edge will provide users with minimalist design and numerous collaboration tools. The web browser will also contain Cortana integration.
- Windows Continuum-this tool will let users jump seamlessly between their Windows 10 devices.
- Windows Hello-depending on hardware assistance, Windows 10 users will be able to log in to their devices using face, iris, or fingerprint recognition.
- Access to Xbox Live and the Xbox app in order to record game play, stream games to your desktop, and interact with other Xbox players.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint will be built in to Windows 10.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days . Click to get this free report >>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report