MetLife Inc MET just released their fourth quarter fiscal 2015 earnings results, posting earnings of $1.23 and revenue of $17.11 billion.
Currently, MET has a Zacks Rank #4 (Sell), but it is subject to change following the release of the company's latest earnings report. Here are 5 key statistics from this just announced report below.
1. Missed earnings estimates. The company posted $1.23 , down 11% from the prior year quarter, missing our Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.36. This number excludes $0.53 from nonrecurring items.
2. Missed revenue estimates. The company saw revenue figures of $17.11 billion , down 6.2% on a year-over-year basis, missing our estimate of $17.448 billion.
3. Reported GAAP net income of $785 million and operating earnings of $1.4 billion.
4. "Operating earnings per share in the fourth quarter were down from the prior year as a result of lower variable investment income, which can be volatile, as well as a strong U.S. dollar," said Steven A. Kandarian, chairman, president and chief executive officer of MetLife. "While 2015 was a challenging year overall, our plan to separate a substantial portion of the U.S. Retail business demonstrates our willingness to take bold steps to maximize shareholder value."
5. MET was up $0.03, or 0.07%, to $41.98 as of 4:34 PM ET in after hours trading shortly after its earnings report was released.
Here's a graph that looks at MetLife's reported EPS and surprise percentage:
MetLife Inc. is a leading provider of insurance and financial services to a broad spectrum of individual and institutional customers. The company currently provides individual insurance, annuities and investment products. The company also provides group insurance, retirement, and savings products and services to corporations and other institutions. MetLife was founded in 1868 and is headquartered in New York City.
Check back later for our full analysis on MetLife's fourth quarter earnings report!
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.