METALS-Copper prices dip ahead of Fed's interest rate decision

Credit: REUTERS/Juan Carlos Ulate

BEIJING, Sept 21 (Reuters) - Prices of copper, often used as an economic parameter, drifted lower on Wednesday as investors anticipated another aggressive interest rate hike from the U.S. Federal Reserve.

Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange CMCU3 dipped 0.4% to $7,730 a tonne by 0141 GMT, while the most-traded October copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange SCFcv1 was down 0.1% at 62,400 yuan ($8,872.46) a tonne.

The Fed started a two-day meeting on Tuesday, with rate futures traders pricing in an 83% chance of a 75 basis-point hike and a 17% probability of a 100 bps raise. FEDWATCH

The U.S. dollar strengthened to a near two-decade high on Tuesday, making it more expensive for holders of other currencies to buy greenback-priced commodities.

Some metals, however, were supported by expectations of strengthening demand in China thanks to strong operation rates among end-user manufacturers in September and October.

China's commercial hub of Shanghai on Tuesday announced eight infrastructure projects with a total investment of 1.8 trillion yuan, to revive a COVID-impacted economy.

ShFE nickel SNIcv1 gained 0.8% to 195,980 yuan a tonne, tin SSNcv1 rose 2% to 181,260 yuan a tonne, while aluminium SAFcv1 lost 1.2% to 18,490 yuan a tonne, following data on Tuesday that showed global primary aluminium output rose 3.5% in August to 5.89 million tonnes.

LME aluminium CMAL3 slid 0.2% to $2,241 a tonne, lead CMPB3 was down 0.2% to $1,877 a tonne, zinc CMZN3 declined 0.2% to $3,121.50 a tonne.

For the top stories in metals and other news, click


($1 = 7.0330 Chinese yuan renminbi)

(Reporting by Siyi Liu and Dominique Patton; Editing by Devika Syamnath)


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

More Related Articles

Info icon

This data feed is not available at this time.

Sign up for Smart Investing to get the latest news, strategies and tips to help you invest smarter.