Recently, Jill Malandrino, Global Markets Reporter, Nasdaq sat down with Steve Elms and Drew Schiff, Managing Partners at Aisling Capital to discuss their investment focus and strategies. Both partners bios are below and each answered the Nasdaq "Meet a VC" series Q & A in recent MarketInsite posts.
Here are a few of the highlights from the video interview:
- Aisling Capital has been around since 2000. The VC targets life sciences companies.
- Their VC investments are in both public and private equity, but mainly with firms that are at the clinical stage of development.
- The firm is unique due to the partner's backgrounds in medical and banking which helps in further development of the companies in which they invest.
- One area of interest for Aisling is dermatology, especially non-invasive forms of this sector.
- An example of one of the firms they've invested in is the "cool-sculpting" firm Zeltiq Aesthetics.
- The firm also invests in companies that are working in oncology. In particular, companies with targeted therapies for cancer and immunoncology.
- Other areas of interest for the firm's investment include cardiovascular and GI therapies.
Steven A. Elms, Managing Partner, Aisling Capital
Mr. Elms joined Aisling in July of 2000 and currently serves as one of the Managing Partners. Previously, he was a Principal in the Life Sciences Investment Banking Group of Hambrecht & Quist. During his five years at H&Q, Mr. Elms was involved in over 60 financing and M&A transactions, helping clients raise in excess of $3.3 billion in capital. Prior to H&Q, Mr. Elms traded mortgage-backed securities at Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette. His previous healthcare sector experience includes over two years as a pharmaceutical sales representative for Marion Laboratories and two years as a consultant for The Wilkerson Group.
Mr. Elms currently serves as a director of ADMA Biologics, EarLens and is Chairman of LOXO Oncology. Previously he served as a director of numerous private and public biopharmaceutical and medical device companies.
Mr. Elms received his M.B.A. from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University and his B.A. in Human Biology from Stanford University.
Andrew Schiff, MD, Managing Partner, Asiling Capital
Dr. Schiff joined Aisling in September of 1999 and currently serves as one of the Managing Partners. Prior to Aisling Capital, Dr. Schiff practiced internal medicine for six years at The New York Presbyterian Hospital, where he maintains his position as a Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine.
Dr. Schiff currently serves as a director of Aclaris Therapeutics, ARMGO Pharma and PowerVision, and as a Board observer of Zavante Therapeutics. Prior Board service includes Adams Respiratory Therapeutics, Agile Therapeutics, ArgiNOx Pharmaceuticals, Barrier Therapeutics, Bioenvision, CardioKine, Cempra Pharmaceuticals, Miramar Labs, Myogen, SkinMedica, Sirion Therapeutics, TransEnterix, ZELTIQ Aesthetics and Quintiles (Board observer). He is a longtime supporter and Board member of the Visiting Nurse Service of New York.
Dr. Schiff received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College, his M.B.A. from Columbia University, and his B.S. with honors in Neuroscience from Brown University.
Read important disclosure information on Aisling here .