Markets

Market Chatter: Cnooc Said To Agree On Canada Demands For Nexen Takeover

Cnooc Ltd., China's biggest offshore oil and gas producer, has accepted management and employment conditions set by the Canadian government as it seeks approval for its $15.1 billion takeover of Nexen Inc. (NXY.TO), according to two people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reported.

Negotiators for the Canadian government adopted many of the conditions requested by Alberta Premier Alison Redford last month, which include guarantees that at least 50% of Nexen's board and management positions be held by Canadians, the two people said on condition they not be identified because negotiations are confidential.

Nexen stock jumped almost 7% last week, the biggest weekly gain since state-owned Cnooc bid for the Calgary-based oil company in July, suggesting investors are growing more optimistic the deal will be approved by the Canadian government.

Recent statements from Harper and federal cabinet ministers provide "favorable indications" Cnooc's takeover of Nexen will soon be approved, as well as the separate bid the government is reviewing by Malaysia's state-owned energy company for Calgary- based Progress Energy Resources Corp. (PRQ.TO), said Kyle Preston, an oil and gas analyst at National Bank Financial Group in Calgary.

"I think we're close," Preston said. "The government is looking at both the Cnooc-Nexen and the Progress-Petronas deals, which I think gives the appearance they'd like to make a decision on both at the same time and outline what the new framework is going to be for this net benefit test."

The Canadian government is reviewing the sale of Nexen under the country's foreign-takeover law, which specifies transactions need to have a "net benefit" to the country in order to win approval. Canada extended its review of the deal for a second time on Nov. 2, setting the deadline to Dec. 10.

While Prime Minister Stephen Harper has called it a national priority to sell more of his country's energy resources to Asia, he has said the Nexen sale raises "difficult policy questions" and the government will release a new policy framework on foreign investment when it completes the review of the Nexen takeover.

Canada rejected a C$5.2 billion bid by Petroliam Nasional Bhd. for Progress Energy on Oct. 19, giving Petronas, as the Malaysian company is known, 30 days to appeal or make concessions. Last week, Industry Minister Christian Paradis said his decision on the Progress Energy takeover could come after Nov. 18.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

Copyright (C) 2016 MTNewswires.com. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

Other Topics

Commodities

Latest Markets Videos