JPMorgan (JPM) Beats on Q1 Earnings, Revenues Increase Y/Y
Have you been eager to see how JPMorgan JPM performed in Q1 in comparison with the market expectations? Let’s quickly scan through the key facts from this New York-based major global bank’s earnings release this morning:
An Earnings Beat
JPMorgan came out with earnings of $2.65 per share, which surpassed the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $2.32.
Improved revenues were partly offset by a rise in expenses.
How Was the Estimate Revision Trend?
You should note that the earnings estimate revisions for JPMorgan depicted pessimistic stance prior to the earnings release. The Zacks Consensus Estimate moved nearly 1% down over the past seven days.
JPMorgan have an impressive earnings surprise history. Before posting the earnings beat in Q1, the company delivered positive surprises in three of trailing four quarters, as shown in the chart below:
JPMorgan Chase & Co. Price and EPS Surprise
Overall, the company has a positive earnings surprise of 0.39% in the trailing four quarters.
Revenue Higher Than Expected
JPMorgan recorded revenues of $29.1 billion, which beat the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $28 billion. Also, it compared favorably with the year-ago number of $28.5 billion.
Key Q1 Statistics:
- Investment banking fees were up 6% year over year
- Fixed Income Markets revenue declined 18% year over year
- Equity Markets revenues fell 14% year over year
- Provisions for credit losses increased 28% year over year
- Average Core loans up 4% year over year
- Returned nearly $7.4 billion to shareholders through dividends and share buybacks
- Basel III common equity Tier 1 ratio of 12.2%, as of Mar 31, 2019
What Zacks Rank Says
The estimate revisions that we discussed earlier have driven a Zacks Rank #4 (Sell) for JPMorgan. However, since the latest earnings performance is yet to be reflected in the estimate revisions, the rank is subject to change. While things apparently look favorable, it all depends on what sense the just-released report makes to the analysts.
(You can see the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank (Strong Buy) stocks here.)
How the Market Reacted So Far
Following the earnings release, JPMorgan’s shares were up 2.1% in the pre-trading session. This is in sync with to what the stock witnessed in the prior-day’s session. Clearly, the initial reaction shows that the investors have considered the results in their favor. However, the full-session’s price movement may indicate a different picture.
Check back later for our full write up on this JPMorgan earnings report!
Radical New Technology Creates $12.3 Trillion Opportunity
Imagine buying Microsoft stock in the early days of personal computers… or Motorola after it released the world’s first cell phone. These technologies changed our lives and created massive profits for investors.
Today, we’re on the brink of the next quantum leap in technology. 7 innovative companies are leading this “4th Industrial Revolution” - and early investors stand to earn the biggest profits.
See the 7 breakthrough stocks now>>
Click to get this free report
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM): Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research
Latest Technology Videos
- How to Invest In Edge Computing: Why Exploding Data Demand And Creation is Driving This Trend
- How Nasdaq is Advancing its Mission to Safeguard the Financial System and Its Participants
- What Data Analytics Will Look Like in 2021 - And How to Capitalize On It
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Boeing, Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines and Delta Air Lines