Jack in the Box (JACK) is a quick service hamburger restaurant chain. Known for its wide-variety menu, Jack in the Box serves hamburgers, specialty sandwiches, salads, Mexican food, finger foods, and side items. The core of the Jack in the Box menu is its burgers, including its signature hamburgers like the Jumbo Jack, Ultimate Cheeseburger, and Sourdough Jack. The company also owns Qdoba, a Mexican fast-casual chain restaurant. Jack in the Box was founded in 1951 and is headquartered in San Diego, California.
Currently, Jack in the Box has a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy), but it is subject to change following the release of the company's latest earnings report. We have highlighted some of the key statistics from this just announced report below.
Jack in the Box:
1. Missed earnings estimates. The company posted $0.62 EPS , beating our Zacks Consensus Estimate of $0.65.
2. Missed revenue estimates. The company saw revenue figures of $354.1 million , surpassing our estimate of $358 million.
3. Reported an increase in same-store sales 6.2% for the quarter, and company same-store sales increased 4.1%.
4. Lenny Comma, chairman and chief executive officer, said, "We're pleased with our fourth quarter performance, which culminated in a 15 percent increase in operating earnings per share resulting from solid same-store sales growth and margin expansion at both Jack in the Box® and Qdoba ® . This performance capped another terrific year, with operating earnings per share up approximately 22 percent, the fourth consecutive year of growth in excess of 20 percent."
5. Jack in the Box was up $2.57, or 3.67%, to $72.56 as of 4:28 PMET in after hours trading shortly after its earnings report was released.
Here's a graph that looks at Jack in the Box's long-term quarterly revenue and growth rate:
Check back later for our full analysis on Jack in the Box's third quarter earnings report!