Interesting June 2025 Stock Options for HD

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Home Depot Inc (Symbol: HD). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the June 2025 expiration for HD. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $190 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $2.35. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.2% return against the $190 commitment, or a 0.8% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

Selling a put does not give an investor access to HD's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Home Depot Inc sees its shares decline 45% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $187.65 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $2.35 from $190), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 0.8% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the June 2025 expiration, for shareholders of Home Depot Inc (Symbol: HD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.4% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $410 strike and collecting the premium based on the $16.50 bid, annualizes to an additional 3.3% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 5.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $410 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but HD shares would have to advance 18.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 23.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Home Depot Inc, highlighting in green where the $190 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $410 strike in red:


The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2025 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Home Depot Inc (considering the last 250 trading day HD historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $345.69) to be 22%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 2.56M contracts, with call volume at 2.56M, for a put:call ratio of 0.71 so far for the day, which is above normal compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65. In other words, if we look at the number of call buyers and then use the long-term median to project the number of put buyers we'd expect to see, we're actually seeing more put buyers than expected out there in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

Top YieldBoost HD Calls »

Also see:
• TCRX Average Annual Return
• QQQM YTD Return
• PBNC Options Chain

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

More Related Articles

Info icon

This data feed is not available at this time.

Sign up for Smart Investing to get the latest news, strategies and tips to help you invest smarter.