Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Annaly Capital Management Inc (Symbol: NLY). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2016 expiration for NLY. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $8 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 39 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 4.9% return against the $8 commitment, or a 3% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ).
Selling a put does not give an investor access to NLY's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Annaly Capital Management Inc sees its shares fall 32.2% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $7.61 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 39 cents from $8), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 3% annualized rate of return.
Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2016 expiration, for shareholders of Annaly Capital Management Inc (Symbol: NLY) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 10.2% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $15 strike and collecting the premium based on the 17 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 0.9% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost ), for a total of 11.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $15 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but NLY shares would have to advance 27.1% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 28.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.
The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Annaly Capital Management Inc, highlighting in green where the $8 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $15 strike in red:
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
Latest Markets Videos
- Stimulus Update: MIllions Will Get a Stimulus Check in June. Are You One of Them?
- Is the Stock Market Open on Independence Day 2022?
- Social Security Checks Could Soar in 2023: Here's How Much Extra Seniors Might Receive
- Used Car Prices Are Starting to Drop From All-Time Highs. Is the Worst Behind Us?