INDIA STOCKS-Indian shares slip as Russia mobilisation compounds Fed rate worries

Credit: REUTERS/Amit Dave

Updates to close

BENGALURU, Sept 21 (Reuters) - Indian shares ended lower after a choppy Wednesday session, as Russia's escalation of the conflict in Ukraine further soured sentiment of investors already bracing for a super-sized interest rate hike by the Federal Reserve.

The NSE Nifty 50 index .NSEI ended 0.55% lower at 17,718.35, while the S&P BSE Sensex .BSESN slipped 0.44% to 59,456.78.

Investors fled risky assets after Vladimir Putin ordered a partial mobilisation of Russia's military reserves and accused the West of "nuclear blackmail," building anxiety in investors who were already on the sidelines ahead of the Fed's decision expected later in the day. MKTS/GLOB

Rate futures traders are pricing in an 81% chance of a 75-basis-point (bp) hike and a 19% probability of a jumbo 100 bps increase, as inflation stayed elevated. FEDWATCH

Meanwhile, Reuters reported that India's government was in no hurry to tamp down inflation - now hovering near 7% at eight-year high - back to the central bank's 4% medium-term target, for fear that aggressive rate hikes could hurt economic growth.

India's central bank is due to meet next week to decide on monetary policy.

Putin's move caused a surge in oil prices on Wednesday, which could prove costly for India, the world's third-largest importer of oil. O/R

The Nifty Metal index .NIFTYMET was the worst performer among sub-indexes, dropping 2.1% in its worst day in a month.

Conglomerate Adani Enterprises ADEL.NS, which touched a record high in the previous session, lost 5.1%, marking its worst session since mid-June.

Shree Cement SHCM.NS was the biggest percentage loser on the Nifty 50 with a 5.2% drop - its sharpest fall since late-February.

The Nifty fast-moving consumer goods index .NIFTYFMCG was the only bright spot, rising 1.2% led by a near 3% jump in FMCG major Britannia Industries BRIT.NS.

Central Bank of India CBI.NSrose 6.6%, after jumping as much as 15% in the session, following an RBI move to take the state-owned lender off its prompt corrective action list.

(Reporting by Chris Thomas in Bengaluru)

((; +91 80 6210 0487;))

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


More Related Articles

Info icon

This data feed is not available at this time.

Sign up for Smart Investing to get the latest news, strategies and tips to help you invest smarter.