Markets

How To YieldBoost Shoe Carnival From 1.2% To 6.1% Using Options

Shareholders of Shoe Carnival, Inc. (Symbol: SCVL) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $22.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 50 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ), for a total of 6.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $22.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but SCVL shares would have to advance 15.2% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 17.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Shoe Carnival, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for SCVL below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.2% annualized dividend yield.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story

SCVL

Other Topics

Options

Latest Markets Videos

    BNK Invest

    BNK Invest Inc. provides investment services and information. BNK Invest owns and operates a market news family of websites including DividendChannel, ETFChannel, StockOptionsChannel, and others, which make up an investor community featuring stock message boards, ratings, research, and strategies. BNK Invest caters to investing firms and individual investors internationally.

    Learn More