Markets
MLM

How To YieldBoost MLM From 0.8% To 14.5% Using Options

Shareholders of Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. (Symbol: MLM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $195 strike and collect the premium based on the $10.70 bid, which annualizes to an additional 13.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost ), for a total of 14.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $195 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MLM shares would have to advance 3.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Martin Marietta Materials, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for MLM below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.8% annualized dividend yield. MLM+Dividend+History+Chart Below is a chart showing MLM's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $195 strike highlighted in red: Loading+chart++2016+TickerTech.com The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $195 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $195. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked ). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $188.90) to be 33%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MLM Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.


The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

In This Story

MLM

Other Topics

Options