Gold eases on firmer dollar, equities
Aug 25 (Reuters) - Gold prices edged lower on Tuesday, weighed down by a stronger U.S. dollar and as hopes for coronavirus treatments lifted risk sentiment.
* Spot gold
* U.S. gold futures
* The dollar index held firm near a more than one-week high hit last week, making gold more expensive for holders of other currencies. [USD/]
* Asia's stock markets opened higher following a Wall Street rally driven by coronavirus vaccine hopes. [MKTS/GLOB]
* The U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorised the use of blood plasma from recovered COVID-19 patients as a treatment option.
* However, the World Health Organization was cautious about endorsing the use of recovered COVID-19 patients' plasma to treat those who are ill, saying evidence that it works remains "low quality."
* Investors now await U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell's speech at Jackson Hole on Thursday for clarity on the direction of U.S. monetary policy.
* The Fed has rolled out a wave of fiscal and monetary stimulus measures and cut interest rates to near zero to mitigate the economic damage caused by the pandemic, helping gold rise 28% so far this year.
* More than 23.57 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 809,569 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
* Meanwhile, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin spoke with Chinese Vice Premier Liu He on Monday, the U.S. Trade Representative's Office said.
DATA/EVENTS (GMT) 0600 Germany GDP Detailed QQ SA, YY NSA Q2 1400 US
Aug 1400 US
New Home Sales-Units
July (Reporting by Brijesh Patel in Bengaluru; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu) ((Brijesh.Patel1@thomsonreuters.com; Within U.S. +1 651 848 5832, Outside U.S. +91 8067493865; Reuters Messaging: Brijesh.Patel1.email@example.com)) Keywords: GLOBAL PRECIOUS/
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
Latest Markets Videos
- Walmart held talks on streaming deal with Disney, Comcast and Paramount- NYT
- Disney tops Netflix in streaming subscribers, raises prices for ad-free options
- Palestinian rockets reach west of Jerusalem on third day of Gaza fighting
- U.S. says China used Pelosi's Taiwan visit as pretext to alter status quo